Thursday, September 27, 2012

Coconut lotion

Pin It Now! I was looking through the GIANT stash of lotions that I have underneath my bathroom sink and I realized most of these lotions are not something I would want to put on my little cookie so why the heck am I putting these on my body? Hmm... Why did I have so many? Why did I decide to stop using one and switch to the next? Initially the reasons varied. At first it was the smell was too strong or too weak, it was too greasy or felt like it was not doing anything. Then later one of my friends M told me to look on the back of the bottle and pick one ingredient that I was insure of and look it up both good and bad sides and do real research not just googling it online... If you do not like the outcome of that ingredient throw it out or find a better use for it somewhere else.

So what is my solution? Really I had no idea what my solution would be at the time. I pulled out 13 bottles of lotion that at one time or another I have used. I walked out of my bedroom, downstairs and out the door with them all. I tossed them all right into my garbage can! Apparently the ingredients didn't  sit well with me. Great. Now I don't have a lotion that I feel comfortable putting on my body and most importantly on my little cookie's body.

Blast. I should have taken a picture of all my lotions before throwing them away!

So I started scouring the web. Surely there must be something out there that I can use on me that smells great, isn't too greasy, and does not have 100 chemicals that I cannot pronounce.

Then I came across Coconut Oil. Hmm... I have heard of a few benefits of coconut oil but did not think about lathering oil all over me...

So lets check it out.

Coconut Oil Use:
Hair care
Skin care
Stress relief
Maintaining cholesterol levels
Weight loss
Increased immunity
Proper digestion and metabolism
Relief from kidney problems
Heart diseases
High blood pressure
Diabetes
Dental care
Bone strength
These benefits can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, and soothing properties.

Why not try it right? 

Off to the store I went. Coombs Country Market. After searching for about 15 min I found it hiding away on a bottom shelf with no other oils in sight... Strange place to put it... It was hard... Soooo this is why we are mixing it! And its in a glass mason jar. Not oil like at all. I read the ingredients: Organic Coconut Oil. Thats it? Perfect! 

I'll let you know in a couple weeks how I like it. I'm using it as a moisturizer on my face too. Yikes. I know, oil on the face? Apparently it is supposed to be a great moisturizer. Only 1 way to tell!

How to make Coconut Oil Lotion by The Nourished Life
Only 2 things I did differently is use an electric hand mixer for 7 min and I did not use Vitamin E oil.  Make sure all the oil is being mixed (might need a spatula)
I just spooned it into a mason jar I had lying around.

Day 1: Love it. Don't use too much though as it will feel like it does not rub in properly.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment